- Act as a consultative body to responsible governments concerning laws and regulations relating to the environmental and social protection regime, and administration and management of the regime;
- Make recommendations concerning laws, regulations and other measures related to environmental and social protection;
- Examine environmental and social impact assessment and review mechanisms and procedures;
- Study major issues relating to the implementation of the environmental and social protection regime as well as the land use regime;
- Serve as a link for the residents of Nunavik and provide support to local and regional authorities through the preparation of briefs and the delivery of technical assistance.
Territory of Application
Environmental and Social Protection Regime
The environmental and social protection regime for Nunavik is established in Section 23 of the JBNQA and in the Environment Quality Act, as follows:
- Environmental and social laws and regulations and land use regulations which may from time to time be adopted or amended to frame and limit the negative impact of development in or affecting the region upon the Inuit, Naskapi and Cree people and the wildlife resources of the region;
- Environmental and social impact assessment and review procedures established to minimize the negative environmental and social impact of development on the Inuit, Naskapi and Cree people and the wildlife resources of the region;
- A special status and involvement for the Inuit, Naskapi and Cree people and the other inhabitants of the region over and above that provided for in procedures involving the general public through consultation or representative mechanisms wherever such is necessary to protect or give effect to the rights and guarantees in favour of the Inuit, Naskapi and Cree people established by and in accordance with the JBNQA;
- The protection of the rights and guarantees of the Inuit, Naskapi and Cree people established by and in accordance with Section 24 of the JBNQA;
- The protection of the Inuit, Naskapi and Cree people, their economies and the wildlife resources upon which they depend;
The right to develop in the region;
- The protection of the rights and guarantees of the Naskapi Nation of Kawawachikamach defined in the hunting, fishing and trapping regime under the NEQA.
2020-2025 Action Plan
The goal of the Action Plan 2020–2025 is to orient KEAC actions to be responsive to environmental and social protection issues in Nunavik, in compliance with the JBNQA and the (NEQA. Through its action plan, the KEAC strives to respond to concerns regarding sustainable development, the safeguard of biodiversity, climate change and the quality of life of the residents of Nunavik.