The risks associated with climate change are significant in Nunavik and threaten both the region’s environment and population. Concerns include public health and safety, biodiversity protection and conservation, the degradation of marine, air and road transportation infrastructure and built-up areas, as well as challenges to the continued practicing of traditional hunting, fishing and trapping activities. The resilience of northern ecosystems and communities in the face of climate change is an important issue for the KEAC, which is endeavouring to encourage collaboration and knowledge transfer between northern organizations, various levels of government, and scientific and political stakeholders.
- Monitoring the Québec Government’s 2030 Plan for a Green Economy and the specific actions to be implemented in Nunavik.
- Monitoring of development of Québec’s 2020–2030 plan concerning electrification and climate change, which included participation at a consultation with regional officials held in Kuujjuaq in February 2020.
- Presentation delivered at the KEAC’s 161st meeting in Kuujjuaraapik by Hydro-Québec on renewable energy initiatives in Northern Québec.
- Participation at a climate change workshop held in Kuujjuaq in November 2019;
- Feedback submitted in August 2019 to the Ministère de l’Environnement et de la Lutte contre les changements climatiques (the environment and the fight against climate change) on a guide for project proponents regarding climate change and environmental authorization.
- Presentation delivered at the KEAC’s 159th meeting in Kuujjuaq by Ouranos and the Kativik Regional Government on climate change research initiatives in Nunavik.
- Climate change workshop organized in Kuujjuaq in October 2016 in collaboration with Crown-Indigenous Relations and Northern Affairs Canada, the Makivik Corporation, the Kativik Regional Government, Ouranos, Environment and Climate Change Canada, and Health Canada.
You can access relevant publications regarding this subject at: https://keac-ccek.org/en/briefs-and-position-papers/