Land use planning and management
In addition to increasing impacts caused by climate change, Nunavik is subject to intense pressure created by the development of a multitude of activities arising from its population growth, its transportation needs, its immense wealth in natural resources and its hydroelectric potential. Even though land use development planning is a government responsibility, the KEAC believes it is important to develop close collaboration between northern stakeholders, responsible government departments and the region’s residents with a view to the sustainable development of the communities and Nunavik.
- Reviewed the Québec government’s 2022-2026 Public Land Use Plan
- Reviewed draft regulation on sustainable land use for the Kativik region
- Commented on the draft Climate Change Adaptation Strategy for Forest Management
- Monitoring the implementation of Société du Plan Nord’s Northern Action Plan, 2020-2023
- Submitted feedback on MAMH’s National Urban and Regional Planning Strategy
You can access relevant publications regarding this subject at: https://keac-ccek.org/en/briefs-and-position-papers/